“Asking for help is not a sign of weakness but a sign of strength”.
Author of best-selling book Go From Stressed To Strong, Laurie is a campaign catalyst, a policy expert and a media commentator whose advice on work stress and related coping strategies resonate strongly with my journey as a digital entrepreneur. A former legislative aide in Florida, Laurie worked with Barack Obama on his first campaign and saw first-hand the work stress suffered by many within political, but also business circles. Her unique insight into such a high-powered environment shows that on any level, the only way to success is to take proper care of yourself.
Some questions I ask:
- What does burnout look like and is it different to being a workaholic?
- Is burnout more relevant in the 21st century, as perhaps a symptom of modern society?
- Are high-performing women more susceptible to it?
- What does self-care mean to you?
In this episode, you will learn:
- The five key points to good self-care: eating and sleeping well; exercising every day; good time and stress management
- Defining the symptoms of burnout such as developing autoimmune disease and depression
- Coping mechanisms from people in high-stress jobs including an Iraqi war veteran, the deputy head of NASA and a Michelin-starred chef
- Not letting shame or guilt you feel today, affect you tomorrow
Laurie’s Three Gems:
- Surround yourself with amazing mentors, people you trust and who are in the field in which you aspire to be
- Be constantly learning and educating yourself
- Trust yourself and trust your gut (9 times out of 10 you’ll be right to)
Also mentioned on this show:
- Barack Obama
- The Pentagon
- Caroline Kennedy
- Mindfulness and meditation
Connect with Laurie:
Website and blog: www.laurieawatkins.com
LinkedIn: Laurie A Watkins